Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Melissa Dell "The Persistent Effects of Peru's Minning Mita"

...Using data from the Spanish Empire and Peruvian Republic to
trace channels of institutional persistence, I show that the mita's inuence has persisted through its impacts on land tenure and public goods provision. Mita districts historically had fewer large landowners and lower educational attainment. Today, they are less integrated into road networks, and their residents are substantially more likely to be subsistence farmers.
The paper is awesome and it is forthcoming in Econometrica.
The CV of Melissa Dell is impressive: she is a graduate summa cum laude at Harvard, has a doctorate from Oxford, Ph.D. candidate at MIT, ultra marathon runner (100 km), founder of a NGO in Peru ... and she has a severe vision impairment.

1 comment:

Ned Polian said...

I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will find that very useful. Dell i3147-3750sLV